Police Officers must be able to draw on extraordinary levels of tact and diplomacy to achieve their goals while dealing with the diverse population of the City of Tukwila. They must be able to use advice, appropriate warnings, and persuasion to engender cooperation from the public. Additionally, they must be able to work effectively both as an individual or as a member of a larger team. Every candidate shall demonstrate an understanding of the skills necessary to deal effectively with others in a cooperative and courteous manner. Desired behaviors may include, but are not limited to:
- Understanding the impact of words and behavior on others, and ensuring one’s own behavior, comments, or course of action is professional and appropriate at all times
- Concern for the feelings and perspectives of others
- Demonstration of impartiality in dealing with issues of age, gender, sexual orientation, race or ethnicity, religion, and cultural diversity
- Use of tact and diplomacy to achieve goals, resolve disputes, and to diffuse or deescalate conflict
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team, making appropriate contributions and recognizing the achievements of others
Examples of Potentially Disqualifying Behavior
Use of verbal or physical abuse or violence towards others indicating a lack of self-control; inability to get along with others in work or personal life; failure to listen effectively; use of derogatory stereotypes in jokes or daily language; making rude and/or condescending remarks to or about others; use of physical force to resolve disputes; demonstrated overreaction to criticism; inability to work effectively as a team player; disruptive/challenging to authority; use of harassment, threats, or intimidation to gain an advantage.
Age : 21
US Citizen : Yes, or lawful permanent resident status
High School Grad/GED : Yes
Valid WASHINGTON State Driver’s License : Yes
Ability to Read/Speak English : Yes
Vision : Applicant must have normal color vision. Applicant must have vision correctable to 20/20 in the better eye and 20/30 in the lesser eye. Applicants wearing eyeglasses or hard contacts must have uncorrected vision no worse than 20/200 in each eye. Applicants wearing soft contacts must be able to:
- Provide verifiable documentation that soft contacts have been worn regularly for at least one (1) year prior to application
- Meets minimum vision acuity standards with soft contact lenses, and
- There are no indications of corneal damage, or conditions of the eye which might require discontinuation of soft contact use
Automatic Disqualification barring employment in the City of Tukwila PD :
- Any adult felony conviction on current criminal record at time of application;
- Any juvenile felony conviction within the past five years;
- Conviction of any crime of violence, including domestic violence;
- Commission of any sexual offense within the past 10 years;
- Any conviction of a felony crime at any time while employed in any capacity with Law Enforcement Agency (including volunteer, intern, Explorer, and reserve positions);
- Any theft of property or money within the last five years;
- Any conviction for a sex related crime;
- Ever having to register as a sex offender, regardless of conviction status;
- Any conviction for solicitation of prostitution;
- Any misdemeanor convictions for crimes not specifically stated above will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- As an adult, convicted of any felony drug crime;
- Any excessive us of marijuana within the last 12 months will be based on a case by case basis.
- Used hallucinogens (including GHB and ecstasy; excludes mushrooms), cocaine, methamphetamine, or opiates within the last 10 years;
- Usage of any other illegal drug, including steroids and prescription abuse, will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis;
- Have illegally used 4 or more different controlled substances, including marijuana, in the last 10 years;
- Have at any time manufactured, transported or cultivated illegal drugs (including marijuana) for the purpose of sale or distribution;
- Have used any illegal drugs while employed in a criminal justice capacity;
- Have ever obtained or used a prescription drug under false pretenses;
- Have ever, at any time, injected amphetamines, methamphetamine, cocaine, heroin, barbiturates, or valium;
- Have ever illegally used a drug after submitting an application to any Law Enforcement Agency;
- Have ever sold or distributed illegal drugs, including marijuana;
- Any more than two drug convictions for any of the narcotics listed above.
- Any criminal traffic conviction within the past 5 years. Violation examples include, but are not limited to: driving under the influence (DUI), reckless driving, negligent driving, or hit and run driving;
- Suspension or revocation of your driver’s license (for any traffic violation) within five years of the date of the employment application;
- Any more than two criminal convictions for traffic related offenses.
- Any willful failure to pay income tax or court ordered child support is disqualifying;
- A credit check will be conducted regarding your financial history.
- Must have been discharged from the Military under honorable conditions. Any discharge other than honorable will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Any applicant who maintains an on-going relationship with individuals who are criminals and/or who are reputed to be involved in recent or current criminal activity;
- An applicant’s criminal record, including all arrests, prosecutions, deferred prosecutions, “Alford” pleases, and non-conviction information will be thoroughly assessed and may be grounds for disqualification;
- Commission of any crime (non-conviction).
Veteran’s Preference Points : City of Tukwila follows the guidance given by the State of Washington regarding applying veteran’s points.
No COVID-19 vaccine requirement