For out of state lateral entry candidates that are currently employed as full-time commissioned law enforcement officers, we cover the cost of airfare and lodging to participate in the expedited testing process (Must be currently employed as a fully commissioned law enforcement officer in good standing).
We are currently offering a $25,000.00 Signing Bonus to qualified (in-state) lateral candidates and $20,000 Signing Bonus (out-of-state). Starting salary $90,651 – $110,376 DOE Officers with 5+ years of current, full-time qualifying law enforcement experience start at $110k!
💰$90k – $110k (DOE)
💰$25,000 Signing Bonus (In State Lateral Officers)
💰$20,000 Signing Bonus (Out of State Lateral Officers)
🚨2% AA/AS, 4% BA/BS education incentive pay
🚨5% specialty pay (Laterals are eligible to apply for open specialty positions 12-months from hire date)
✅City paid medical premiums
✅Medical plans through HMA or Kaiser Permanente
✅Domestic partners are eligible for medical benefits
✅Vacation – 96 hours accrued annually
✅Sick Leave – 144 hours accrued annually
✅Holiday Bank – 140 hours annually. Patrol officers may use these hours as paid leave time or receive pay in lieu of the time off or a combination of both
✅Kelly Days – 110 Kelly Day hours annually. Patrol officers may use these hours as leave time or receive pay in lieu of time off or a combination of both
Total number of paid time off per year = 490 hours
✅LEOFFII pension program http://www.drs.wa.gov/member/systems/leoff/
✅City partially matching deferred compensation program via 457b or Mass Mutual fund
UNIFORMS & EQUIPMENT:
✅All uniforms and equipment are supplied by the department including pistol, patrol rifle, duty belt/pouches, hats, boots, flashlight, vest, firearms, handcuffs, ammo etc.
Testing for lateral entry candidates consists of a prescreen phone interview, written exam, oral board, background investigation, polygraph examination, written and oral psychological exams and a medical exam. The testing is scheduled at your convenience and done during a one-week period.
Applicants who were terminated, resigned in lieu of termination or would otherwise not be considered for rehire at their former department are not eligible to apply.
Applicants who are currently on administrative leave, have pending internal investigations or are not currently working in full-duty status are not eligible to begin the hiring process until which time they have returned to full-duty status with their current department.
Applicants who are on the Brady List or have sustained internal investigations for lying or integrity related issues are ineligible to apply.
- Fill out and submit application online
- Recruiter will conduct a prescreen phone interview
- Test Dates and travel arrangements will be made for in-person testing
- In-house written exam (Currently virtual)
- Chief’s Interview (Currently Virtual)
- Background Interview and Polygraph
- Psychological Exam
- Medical Exam
- Background Investigation
Steps 1-2 are completed virtually. Steps 3-5 are in-person testing and are completed within 3-4 days during a standard Monday-Friday business week. Upon successful completion of Steps 1-5, the lateral applicant returns home and a background investigator begins the background investigation. The complete background investigation packet is forwarded to the Chief of Police upon completion of the investigation for review.
The Chief of Police reviews and makes the final hiring decision.
Those who are extended a final offer will then work with the Human Resources department to establish a start date suitable for them to provide adequate notice to their current employer and make moving arrangements.
To be eligible as a lateral candidate, you must meet the following requirements;
- Must have been employed as a commissioned law enforcement officer on a full-time basis with a municipal, county or WSCJTC approved federal agency for a period of time exceeding 24 of the last 36 months (post academy experience) at the time of application. Reserve Officers, Auxiliary Officers, Special Police Officers, Hospital Police Officers, Correction Officers and Military Police (MP) Officers do not qualify as laterals. Tribal officers who are not currently certified by the WSCJTC do not qualify as laterals.
- Academy training that meets the requirements to participate in the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Center’s (WSCJTC) Equivalency Academy as outlined here by the WSCJTC.
- Lateral applicants must have successfully completed a field training program (FTO or PTO) and be a non-probationary officer.
- If you are currently a law enforcement officer but do not meet the time in-service requirements of a Lateral Police Officer, you may qualify to test as a Certified Entry candidate.
- Lateral applicants who are not currently employed as a full-time law enforcement officer are not eligible to receive the hiring bonus or travel costs.
- Lateral applicants who were terminated, resigned in lieu of termination or would not otherwise be considered for rehire by their former department or agency are not eligible for a lateral position.
- Lateral applicants who are on current administrative leave or on any leave status as a result of current internal investigations, criminal investigations, injury or other reasons are not eligible to apply until such time that they have returned to full-duty status.