TUKWILA POLICE DEPARTMENT
The Tukwila Police Department was formed in 1908 with the swearing in of the Town Marshal in what was then a quiet farming community. With the addition of the Southcenter Mall in 1968 the city and department began to grow.
In 1971, Chief John Sheets was sworn in as Chief of Police. Chief Sheets immediately reorganized the department, establishing a badge numbering system that is still used to this day. Chief Sheets increased the size of the department from 5 to 13 sworn officers to meet the ever growing demands of the rapidly growing city.
Over the years, Tukwila continued to grow with the annexation of several neighborhoods into what is currently a present day population of 20,000 residents in approximately 10 square miles. While the city is home to only 20,000 residents, it is also home to a daytime population of upwards of 200,000 business employees and visitors.
Tukwila is also home to the largest mall in the Pacific Northwest, the Museum of Flight, Boeing and many other large employers in multiple industries.
The Tukwila Police Department has grown with the city to provide the best police services possible to the Tukwila community.
- 77 Commissioned Officers
- 2 Police Services Officers
- 2 Evidence Technicians
- 1 Victim Advocate
- 1 Senior Records Manager
- 1 Crime Analyst
- 8 Records Specialists & 1 Supervisor